Saturday, August 24, 2013

I Have a New Dog on the Way

This last year has been my longest time in thirty years with no dog in the house.  I now feel that it has been an empty year lots of things have happened. Three hospital stays, starting a new online business, all that fills time but there has been an empty space on the floor next to me that should have been filled with a dog.

Sadly my next dog will not be a German Shepherd. It will also not be a pet. It will be either a Labrador or Golden Retriever. It will be a working dog, a guide dog from Guide Dogs for the Blind in San Rafael, California.

We will meet in just about eight weeks time. I am very excited about the prospect of having a working dog. This will be a whole new experience . A whole new level of being around a dog.

We will train for two weeks together in San Rafael and San Francisco and then graduate the school on November 2.

I plan on writing on my experience with a guide dog using this blog. German Shepherds will still be here with a little added portion of anecdotes and information about guide dog life.

Sadly, for me at least, the German Shepherd is no longer the preferred dog for guide dog work. This will be a change of breed for me. But I am sure we will all learn something new over the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment