Friday, August 23, 2013

The Great Horticulturist

I well remember when Polly was little more than a puppy, aged about six monthsold she became enthralled with gardening. In particular bulbs.

I had for several years been growing  several dozen Bluebell flower bulbs from seed. I had collected the seed from a nearby wood and grown the plants on every year until the bulbs became large enough to plant back in the wood to spread the bluebell flowers.

One day I spent a morning planting a set of year old bulbs in a border of my garden to grow on for ripening for planting out later. Polly sat quietly by my side, watching my every move. She showed no direct interst in the bulbs. Just wanted to show the usual German Shepherd love of being in a supervisory role.

That afternoon I went out shopping and when I returned home. There was a very proud Polly, sat at the edge of the living room carpet with a beautifully neat and straight row off freshly dug up Bluebell bulbs. The very same bulbs she had watched me plant just a few hours earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment