Monday, June 6, 2011

The Talking Shepherd

The German Shepherd is, I believe, the most vocal of dogs. By vocal I don't just mean barking and growling. It also grunts, mumbles and grumbles.

As a child I loved to watch "Champion the Wonder Horse" on TV. OK Champ, you got top billing and credit, but for me the star was Rebel, the German Shepherd. He was the one who always carried the message to Champ and would scare of the bad guys or bring the Sherrif while Champ did horsey stuff.

Then came the great film, K-9 again the adage for actors came true,"Never act with children or animals." Yes James Belushi was ok, he got some good lines,but Jerry-Lee got the really Grreat lines. His constant mumbles and groans where often the funniest part. I know they were mostly added post production, but the director, writer and sound editor showed they knew German Shepherds.

In my twenty years plus life with at least one German Shepherd, they have all talked to me. The I've had a hard day, now it's time for bed, deep rolling growl as they settle down, the plaintive whine as I walk to the door in the morning. The you know where my treats are mutter as I walk through the kitchen. I would bet a months wages that everyone of you out there know exactly what I mean, and what your German Shepherd means too.

All the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment