Sunday, June 5, 2011

Always Faithful

As someone who has a passion for German Shepherds and a history major, I was drawn to the book
Always Faithful: A Memoir of the Marine Dogs of WW II.
The books author, was a veterinary surgeon and commander of a force of K9's within the Marine Corps.

I have to say it is not always an easy read. I still cry at the death of every dog. The book tells the stories of the dogs and their handlers through training, to the battlefield and in to the post war years.The book however was a rewarding read for me. There are lighter moments as both human and canine heroes and heroines interact. There times when war is almost forgotten and there are times when war is revealed in its terrifying and deadly intensity.

This book is, for me, one of the greatest tributes to the dog in war. It is also a fascinating read for those interested in the history of the US Marine Corps as well as historians of the Pacific theater or World War Two generalists.

I include a link to this book via my Amazon Affiliate Account. I did not receive and will not receive any payment for this review. A small commission is paid to me if you decide to purchase via this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment