Friday, December 28, 2012

I Hope For a New Dog

My hopes for the New Year are many. I hope to get back to work after my recent stroke, I hope that the Chicago Bears might win the Superbowl again soon, and I hope for a new dog.

The dog I am hoping for is not to replace Polly, non of our dogs is ever replaceable in anyway. They are individual and special.

No this new dog is going to be a working dog. He or she will be my guide dog.

I have been blind now for almost 3 years. I get about on my own with a white cane, but I would love a dog again. At the moment there is something missing in this house and it is a dog.

Sadly however the Guide Dog for the Blind charity here in the United States no longer use the German Shepherd as a guide dog. They use only Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers or a mix breed of those two.

My one regret in order to have a dog is to give up my German Shepherds.  Oh Well we can't always have exactly what we want.

At present I am waiting on my doctors and Guide Dogs for the Blind to contact each other. The long Christmas break is a bad time to start something, Isn't it?

Then a home check can be arranged and if that is successful I will be placed on a waiting list for training sometime in the summer or maybe Fall of 2013.

But that will fly

No comments:

Post a Comment