Thursday, March 28, 2013

Can I Mourn theLoss of My Dog

In my thirty something years of working with both German Shepherds and their owners, one abiding question I have found is,

"After he dies. A I silly for mouring his death?"

The simple answer to this question is that you are ok to mourn the loss of your dog.

Many people, most often men in my experience are for some reason ashamed for expressing feelings for their dog. I don't know why. It just seems to be that way and the experience crosses national boundaries, as it was in Britain it is here in the Unoted States.

It can be that the memory of your dog can come back at the most simple of triggers, you may walk past a spot where you walked together, thesound of a scratch at the door, a glimpse of an old toy. These bring back all the emotions that you once felt. Anger, fear, sadness, happiness all in a muddle and often overwhelming.

Let the emotions come and go on their own. If a tear comes let it. Recognizing that you have these feelings rather than supressing them is the key. As you recognize and acknowledge them they actually lessen in intensity.

It is all part of the natural mourning process. Time and acceptance help, you do not forget with time you just don't suffer the deep pain anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment